Banana bread has always been a guilty pleasure of mine and when Will and I moved in together, it was apparent he shared this mutual love of banana bread. It became a reoccurring weekend habit, that we were making banana bread and not the ‘healthy’ kind. Since switching to a more paleo based diet over 3 years ago, I’ve been fairly successful in finding Paleo/Whole30 alternatives for most of my favorite dishes- but after trying MANY gluten free and paleo banana bread & muffin recipes that I did not enjoy- I was beginning to feel like you can’t win ’em all.
My taste buds aren’t willing to budge when it comes to good banana bread. Will’s family has a delicious recipe that was shared with me & it’s hands down the best banana bread I’ve ever had (this statement can be backed up by MANY that I’ve shared the recipe with). But unfortunately the recipe is filled with white flour, sugar & butter- NOT PALEO! So for almost 6 months I’ve been trying to health-ify the recipe without losing any of the greatness and I think I’ve finally done it!
I tried TONS of alternatives – almond flours, coconut flours, more eggs, less eggs, until now. II had basically lost hope until I found out that there is a Paleo flour that measures 1 for 1 with white flour. Hello Cassava flour, you answered all my prayers. Finally- I have a paleo banana bread that doesn’t compromise it’s amazing-ness.
I have to give credit to whomever this recipe belongs to because I am in no way a baker. Rarely will you find baked goods on my site because I don’t have the patience, nor the knowledge, to create the scientific measurements required when creating baked goods. But I got lucky on this one.
If you love banana bread like we do, you will love this recipe. Will had none of his usual complaints when I served him a slice of this paleo loaf & I even fooled my parents with this bread when I hosted them for Thanksgiving this year!
- 3 large bananas (the mushier the better- I let mine get EXTRA brown)
- 3/4 C Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 C Ghee
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 C Cassava Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
- First, in a mixing bowl add the bananas, sugar, ghee & egg. Using a fork, mash the bananas and combine all ingredients.
- Next, add the flour, salt, baking soda & vanilla to the bowl & stir to combine.
- Pour the ingredients into a greased and floured loaf pan (standard size).
- Sprinkle the loaf with coconut sugar & cinnamon. Measurements on this portion do not have to be exact. The coconut sugar will caramelize during baking and create a crunchy topping, so top based on your desire.
- Place in oven & bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes & enjoy.