I don’t know about you but I don’t think there is anything as satisfying as a greasy, juicy burger. Paleo-be-damned, I am an Iowan at heart and that means I’m not afraid to take down an all beef patty any day of the week. Plus, now that it’s summer grillin’ season – the burger craving is real.
Although we really try to limit ourselves to eating out to only 2 times a week, we have been frequenting a local burger joint- like, a lot. In our defense, they do offer options such as gluten-free buns and locally-raised organic beef, but I’m pretty sure the truffle fries aren’t doing me any favors.
While there’s nothing wrong with the occasional treat, I have been trying to fix my cravings at home so I’m not tempted by those delicious truffle fries (last time we ordered them Will asked if I was going to lick the fry container, if that gives you any indication how tasty they are). The deeper I get into my love for cooking, the more I realize that I am completely capable of making home-cooked creations that are just as delicious AND healthier for me as well!
These burgers are absolutely perfect for a summer night of grilling. Unfortunately, we’re currently going without a grill at our condo so this recipe is written for the stove-top, but I would encourage you to grill if you have the capability. Once you’re done, send me an invite and I’ll be happy to come by to taste! 🙂
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- Burger Ingredients
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp diced jalapeno
- 1/2 C Almond flour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sweet & Spicy Sauce (see below)
- 4 pineapple rings
- Sweet & Spicy Teriyaki Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (or Soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Water
- 1/2 Tsp Tapioca Starch or Arrowroot Powder
- Optional Garnishes
- Red Onion
- Sliced Jalapenos
- 1. Combine all sauce ingredients with the exception of water & tapioca starch (these will serve as a thickener later) in a bowl & whisk to combine. Set aside
- 2. Combine all burger ingredients in a bowl. Once combined, separate into 4- quarter pound patties that are 1/2 inch thick or less.
- 3. Heat 2 Tbsp Oil over medium heat & Place patties in the pan.
- 4. Cook burgers about 3-4 minutes each side, cover while cooking.
- 5. While burgers cook - combine the H20 & tapioca starch mixture. Set aside
- 6.Transfer sauce into a small sauce pan & begin to heat up over medium heat. Allow the sauce to come to a boil.
- 7. When the sauce begins to boil, slowly whisk in the water mixture. Remove from heat and allow to thicken 3-5 minutes.
- 8. When burgers are completely cook, remove from pan & allow to rest.
- 9. Add 1/2 Tbsp oil back into the pan & add Pineapple slices. Cook 2-3 minutes each side or until desired char.
- 10. To serve: Place burger patties atop a pineapple slice & smother in sweet & spicy sauce. Option garnishes: smashed avocado, cilantro, red onion & sliced jalapenos