If you’re anything like me, soup probably doesn’t jump to the front of your mind when discussing “summer foods.” After all, I’m usually trying to cool off, not put hot liquid into my body. Neverthless, the right soup can make for an easy, tasty meal. Just like the old saying – “easy like summer time!”
If you’ve been following along with me these past few months, you know I’m head over heels for all the farmer’s market produce each weekend. It can be easy to go overboard when shopping at the markets because the options are always changing. Even when I go with a plan, my favorite stand will be offering something new that just has to be purchased. That being said, the one big problem with fresh market veggies is their shelf life – without preservatives, their edibility timetable is far smaller than typical foods!
I hate wasting food, but like most consumers in our country, I’m guilty of it! I like to limit myself to a single grocery trip per week, which frequently leads to my eyes being bigger than my stomach when perusing the shopping aisles. In an effort to eliminate the food waste in our house, I try to use up any leftover perishables via some kitchen creativity at the end of the week. This leads me to today’s recipe, a bit of an “everything but the kitchen sink” soup that will save you both time & money by using up your frequent leftovers!
- 2 C chicken, diced or shredded (See vegetarian option below)
- 1 C sweet potato, diced
- 2 C veggies of choice. I used 1 C Zucchini & 1 C Broccoli
- 1/2 C pesto (See recipe here
- 32 oz chicken or veggie stock.
- Non Whole30 Option: 1 C quinoa
- Vegetarian Option: Swap 2 C chicken for 2 Cups Veggies. I suggest using high protein veggies to meet the nutrient value.
- 1. Place broth & sweet potatoes in a medium-large pot over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fully cooked & you are able to pierce with a fork.
- *Optional- If you do not have pre-cooked chicken, place 1-2 breasts (about 1 lb) into the pot with the broth & sweet potatoes & allow to cook for 20 minutes).
- 2. While the sweet potatoes cook: If adding quinoa, follow boxed instructions & cook at this time.
- 3. After sweet potatoes have cooked for 15 -20 minutes: Add Shredded pre-cooked chicken or shred chicken in pot
- 4. Next add pesto & other veggies to the pot. Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- 5. Serve by placing quinoa in the bottom of serving bowl & cover with soup.
- **If using root veggies as your added veggies, place in pot at the beginning with sweet potatos for added cook time**