Just in Time for September Whole30! This Whole30 Compliant Huevos Rancheros Crustless Quiche is my new favorite. I could say that about all the recipes I share, but truly *in a Chris Harrison Voice* “The most delicious recipe in Eating at Altitude History – On the blog today!” My apologies – I’m back in the throws of Bachelor/Bachelorette season.
I’ve always been a savory breakfast kind of girl, and Huevos Rancheros tends to be my go-to if I see it on a breakfast menu. The deal-sealer for me? The sauce…it’s all about the sauce. I love a good red enchilada drizzle. But with that being said, finding a sugar free or Whole30 compliant enchilada sauce can be a tall task. Whole Foods’ ‘Organic 365’ brand has a compliant version (pictured below) but it is truly the only one I have ever found on the market…so I took matters into my own hands put a spin on a recipe from Against All Grain. Not only is making your own sauce more cost effective, it can be easily stored in the freezer for easy grab-and-go leftovers.
I find this makes for a perfect Sunday dish, and it’s especially useful when serving a crowd. My sister is getting married next weekend and my mom is hosting a houseful of relatives (myself included). Naturally, I volunteered to help with meals amidst all the chaos next week, and this easy dish will definitely be on the menu for our visitors! I love hosting & will snatch up any opportunity to cook for a crowd. The next time you need to feed friends or family members at brunch-time, give it a try!
- 1 lb chorizo
- 1 TBSP avocado oil
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 10 eggs, whisked
- 1 C. enchilada sauce (see below recipe)
- 1 C diced tomatoes or red peppers
- 3 C frozen hashbrowns
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional: Cilantro, Jalapeno & Avocado for garnish
- 3 TBSP ghee or grassfed butter
- 3 TBSP arrowroot powder*
- 3 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 7 oz tomato paste
- 2 C chicken stock
- Enchilada Sauce
- If making your own enchilada sauce:
- Melt the ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the arrowroot powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining spices stir for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and chicken stock, and whisk until smooth. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Whole30 Huevos Rancheros Crustless Quiche
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat oil over medium heat, add onions (if using peppers, add to pan with onions). Allow to soften 1-2 minutes before adding the chorizo. Cook meat & onions until chorizo is fully cooked & remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat10 eggs until fluffy. To the bowl Add the chorizo mixture, hash browns, 1 cup enchilada sauce, 1 c diced tomatoes (optional), 1 tsp garlic & 1/4 tsp salt. Stir to combine.
- Once combined, gently pour mixture into an oven safe baking dish (I use an 8x8 round dish).
- Bake 40-50 minutes.
- Garnish with additional enchilada sauce, avocado, diced jalapenos & cilantro.