Ask and you shall receive. Many of you asked for the recipe of the salad I towed to this year’s Thanksgiving feast, so here it is!
In an effort to add something on the lighter side-I’m towing along this Holiday salad to all my get-to-gethers. It’s filled with all the classic heart warming flavors we love, but its a dish to give your body a break between bites.
If you read my post from Turkey Pot Pie, you know that in the past Holiday’s have been a tough time for me when it comes to food. So bringing this salad along falls directly in line with #2 on my holiday survival list:
- Follow the 1 Bite Rule- Take one bite of the treat you think is going to be so delicious & so incredible, and if it’s not- stop eating, there is plenty of other options on the dinner table!
- Volunteer to bring your favorite dish so you can control the ingredients that go into it!
- Leave the leftovers behind. – I’m all well & good in taking in a piece of Pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, but I don’t need an additional 4 slices sitting to take home with me.
- Don’t treat your holiday celebrations like a cheat day. Go in with and open mind. Refocus your attention from the food to the company & enjoy yourself!
- For the salad:
- 1 small to medium Delicata Squash (optional), seeded & sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped into ribbons (about 4 cups chopped kale)
- 2 C shaved brussels sprouts (about 1/2 lb)
- 1/3 C pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 Cgoat cheese
- 1/4 C pistachios, chopped
- For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sliced butternut squash on baking sheet, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the top then add garlic, Salt & pepper.. Toss to coat. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the squash is cooking. In a mixing bowl, combine the kale & brussels sprouts.
- Next prepare your dressing:Combine all ingredients in small bowl & whisk until smooth. Pour dressing all over the chopped kale. Using your hands gently massage the dressing into the greens for a few minutes.
- Add the pomegranate seeds, pistachios & goat cheese. Toss to combine.
- Lastly top with Delicata squash & serve. If traveling with this salad, do not add goat cheese & nuts until ready to serve.